Sun, 23 Feb 2020

Golden Arrows deny Chippa at the death

25 Aug 2019, 04:12 GMT+10

Cape Town - Knox Mutizwa scored at the death to fire Golden Arrows to a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Chippa United at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium on Saturday.

The hosts claimed the lead in the first half through Nduduzo Sibiya and looked to be heading for a narrow win before Boikanyo Komane levelled matters from the penalty spot with 10 minutes remaining.

However, it was the Backheel Boys who had the last say, with Mutizwa prodding the ball home after his header came back off the post.

The first half started at a sedate pace, with neither side able to create much in the way of a goal-scoring threat in the opening 15 minutes.

However, the match finally kicked up a few gears in the 22nd minute when Mutizwa headed just wide of goal following some patient build-up play by Arrows.

Despite enjoying the lion's share of possession, Chippa were unable to use the ball effectively and they were made to rue that fact as Arrows went on to claim the lead in the 33rd minute.

Nduduzo Sibiya bagged the all-important goal, weaving his way through a flat-footed Chippa defence before slotting the ball past the onrushing keeper.

The hosts went close to doubling their advantage six minutes later but the chance came to nothing as Sibiya fired over the crossbar when well placed to score.

Chippa hit back with a chance of their own in 42nd minute after earning a free-kick on the edge of the Arrows box, but Zimbabwean 'keeper Edmore Sibanda was equal to the task as he kept out the resulting shot from Kurt Lentjies.

Chippa made two changes at the start of the second half, with experienced duo William Twala and Thabo Rakhale coming on for Meshack Maphangule and Andile Mbenyane.

And, after a slow start, Arrows fashioned the first chance of note in the second half as Danny Phiri fired over the bar from range on the hour mark.

Chippa had a great chance to level matters just three minutes later, but Gregory Damons' shot from range flew over the crossbar.

The visitors grew in confidence as the half wore on, with Lentjies twice trying his luck from range, but to no avail.

And, after seeing Mutizwa's free-kick saved by Patrick Tignyemb, Chippa went on to earn a penalty at the opposite end of the pitch on 80 minutes. Siyabonga Dube was adjudged to have handled the ball in the area, and Komane calmly converted to level the scores.

Arrows substitute Danny Venter had a great chance to put his side back in front just minutes later, but his attempt, direct from a free-kick, flew harmlessly over the bar.

However, Arrows finally got the breakthrough they were looking for in the second minute of injury time as Mutizwa pounced to guide the ball over the line after his headed effort came back off the post.

More Zimbabwe News

Access More

Sign up for Zimbabwe News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!